Frequently asked questions
About the Vierdaagsefeesten
When and what time do the Vierdaagsefeesten commence?
In 2019, the Vierdaagsefeesten will start on Saturday July 13 and will last up and until Friday July 19. Most stages located outside start their program somewhere between 14.00-15.00 or between 18.00-20.00, depending on location. Click here to get an overview of the different programs.
Most outside performances from Saturday July 13 through Thursday July 18 end around 00.30. On Friday July 19, performances will end around 01.00.
After the performances have ended, festivities will continue without music until around two in the morning.
At night, some parties do continue inside, but these parties will abide to the regular opening hours that are in place in Nijmegen year-round. You can find the ‘Celebrate the night’ program — for all celebrations held indoors at night — on our website.
Are the Vierdaagsefeesten free?
Yes! The Vierdaagsefeesten are annually held in the city center of Nijmegen, which is a public space and therefore freely accessible to everyone. We take it for granted: every year we get to party and enjoy live shows at various locations during the Vierdaagsefeesten. The event, however, is expensive to organize. Obviously, the largest freely accessible event in the Netherlands does cost money. We earn a part of this money through the drinks that you buy at the bar! This income is used to pay artists, acts, equipment and décor, among other things. So if you make sure to buy a drink or two at the bar, we will take care of everything else 😉. Deal?
Disclaimer: some parts of the program are not freely accessible:
- StevenskerkLive. During the Vierdaagsefeesten, the Stevenskerk — which is located in the city center — will be home to some wonderful performances by renowned artists. You do, however, need a ticket for these shows. Buy your tickets here for LUWTEN, Echo Collective plays ‘Amnesiac’, KOKOROKO, Roxeanne Hazes, The Teskey Brothers (sold out), Josh Ritter of Lucky Fonz III.
- Classic goes Underground. The lowest floor of parking garage Kelfkenbos will be transformed into a unique location for classical music. From Saturday through Monday night between 20.00-21.00, you can enjoy one of a kind classical music concerts here. Even though entrance is free, making a reservation ahead of time is required. Make your reservation here (with a maximum of two tickets per reservation).
- Celebrate the night. For those wanting to party until the sun comes up, it is important to know that many clubs and bars in Nijmegen do charge some sort of entrance fee. These fees will differ per location. You may sometimes even need a ticket to be able to attend certain parties, as is the case in for instance Doornroosje or the Lindenberg. Tickets for those parties can be found on the respective websites of these venues. In other clubs and bars, you often get charged an entrance fee at the door.
Are the Vierdaagsefeesten and the Vierdaagse organized by the same organization?
No. The Vierdaagsefeesten are always organized by Stichting Vierdaagsefeesten, while the Internationale Vierdaagse Afstandsmarsen are organized by Stichting DE 4Daagse. We do work together in many different areas, to make sure the week runs as smoothly as possible.
Sustainability and Vierdaagsefeesten: How does that work?
As a member of the Plastic Pact and Plastic Promise coalitions, we try to incorporate sustainability in as many areas as possible during the Vierdaagsefeesten. Some of our initiatives are listed below:
- Working towards a circular and clean event: cup in the trash bag!*
- Environmentally-friendly firework
- Sustainable manifestations
- Safety net along the Waal
- Water service points
- Extra space for bike storage
- Electricity supply
- Peeback coating
You can read more about the sustainable initiatives taken during the Vierdaagsefeesten right here.
*Why does the organization not make use of the deposit system for plastic cups?
Because of all the different sub-organizations catering to our event — all providing different products at different prices bought with different paying methods — it is impossible for us to create the ‘statiegeldsystem’ in which you get paid a few cents for handing in a cup. We are currently discussing what the most sustainable option could become. One of these solutions would be to buy high-quality, recyclable hard and soft cups that can be cleaned and re-used. For implementation reasons, we are currently choosing for the collect and recycle option. This might change in the future, as we continuously keep sustainability and innovation at the top of our list of priorities when organizing the Vierdaagsefeesten with our partners.
Zomerfeesten or Vierdaagsefeesten?
Starting from the first edition in 1970 our event was called the Zomerfeesten (Summer Festival). In 1998 we changed the name to Vierdaagsefeesten, to emphasise the link with the Four Day Marches and the festival’s unique character. So our event hasn’t been called ‘the Zomerfeesten’ anymore for over twenty years!
Where can I download the Vierdaagsefeesten app?
You are able to download the Vierdaagsefeesten app on your mobile phone (so not on your desktop!) via woov.nl/vierdaagsefeesten. You can also download the app in either the Google Play or Apple store. Search for “Vierdaagsefeesten” and download “Woov”. If you already downloaded the Woov app, you can find the Vierdaagsefeesten app whithin this app.
Why should I download this app? With this app you will:
- Always be up to date on what is going on at the Vierdaagsefeesten. We for instance use to app to keep everyone informed in case of emergencies.
- Always have the program on hand. You can even use the app to create your own personalized program by adding all of your favorite parties and artist to your own schedule. In the app, your personal program will appear on your timeline, so you will always know where to go.
- Never get lost, as the app is also your map. You can furthermore pinpoint the location of your car or bike. This way, you will never forget where you parked, even after a long day of partying.
- Be able to create a chat group with all of your friends, or chat with people in public chat groups.
- Be able to find your friends on the friendfinder, so you will always be able to find your way back to each other.
Where do I get information during the Vierdaagsefeesten?
Different screens will be scattered across the city informing you on everything that is going on. These screens will also display important announcements.
Push notifications about for instance accidents or overcrowding will furthermore be sent to you via our app. By downloading it, you will always be up to date no matter where you are. You can download the Vierdaagsefeesten app in the Google Play or Apple store, or via woov.nl/vierdaagsefeesten. Another way of accessing the Vierdaagsefeesten app is through the Woov app.
In previous years different information points were set up across the city, but due to little public interest these were discontinued this year. Maps, however, will still be handed out at the NS station, as usual.
If after reading this page you still have a pressing question, please contact us at:
What is the best way to reach the city?
The Vierdaagsefeesten is the busiest time of the year in Nijmegen, as thousands of people make their way to our beautiful city. When visiting the city center, we therefore recommend traveling by bike, foot or to use public transport whenever possible.
For more information on the accessibility of the city during the Vierdaagsefeesten, click here.
Can I pay by card at the bars?
Yes, in most locations in the city center you are able to pay by card. Many locations — such as the Joris Ivens Plein, Matrixx live at the Kade (the dock), Matrixx at the Park, Festival op ‘t Eiland (on the island) and Valkhof Festival — moreover make use of the coin tokens system, where you can use almost any pay method to buy tokes to spend at the bar.
Where do I find restrooms?
Restrooms can be found at the following locations:
- Waalkade (The dock; at Matrixx at the Kade)
- Kelfkensbos (at the Valkhof bridge)
- Klein Marienburg
- Bisschop Hamerstraat
- Gruitberg – Koningsplein
- Sint Jorisstraat (at the Gerard Noordstraat intersection)
Restrooms suited to people with a physical impairment can be found at:
- Waalkade (The dock; close to Matrixx at the Kade)
- Klein Marienburg
Is the city accessible to wheelchairs?
Yes, the city is accessible to wheelchairs. No traffic is allowed in the inner city during the Vierdaagsefeesten, meaning that parts of the pavements and streets that will be specifically designated for wheelchairs can be kept obstacle-free. Due to safety concerns, there are unfortunately no designated wheelchair bleachers present at the different squares and stages.
Where can I file complaints during the Vierdaagsefeesten?
For questions, suggestions and complaints, you can go to the official website for the city of Nijmegen and download a form. You can also contact us at:
- Stichting Vierdaagsefeesten 024-3233163 or email@example.com
Business hours: Saturday-Friday between 08.30-17.00.
- Gemeente Nijmegen (city of Nijmegen) 14024 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Business hours: Saturday & Sunday between 17.00-01.00, Monday-Thursday between 08.30-01.00 and on Fridays between 12.00-01.30.
After 01.00 (and after 01.30 on Fridays) you can directly contact the local Police for emergencies at 0900-8844.
For questions, suggestions or complaints about the Internationale Vierdaagse Afstandsmarsen Nijmegen you can contact Stichting DE 4DAAGSE at email@example.com or you can contact the city of Nijmegen directly.
Kan ik ergens camperen tijdens de Vierdaagsefeesten?
Stichting Vierdaagsefeesten organiseert zelf geen camping, maar ondersteunt partijen die dat willen, met advies en communicatie. Bekijk hier welke campings er dit jaar zijn.
Am I allowed to bring my own drinks to the Vierdaagsefeesten?
No, this is not allowed and will be checked by Bureau Toezicht at the Central Train Station. Different check-points will also be set up throughout the city for extra inspection.
Of course, we want to explain why we do not allow you to bring your own drinks to the Vierdaagsefeesten. The Vierdaagsefeesten are freely accessible to anyone who likes to party and enjoy live performances at top locations. However, the event does cost money. The drinks you buy at the bar are an important source of income for us to be able to pay for instance artists, acts, equipment and décor. So if you make sure to buy a drink or two, we will take care of the rest 😉. Deal?
Am I allowed to drink alcohol at the Vierdaagsefeesten, even if I am under 18 years old?
No, that is not allowed. The Vierdaagsefeesten applies the national drinking requirements and rules to the event, which means NIX18: you cannot drink alcohol, if you are not at least 18 years old.
Lost & Found
How do I prevent losing my valuables?
Below we have comprised a list of tips and tricks that can help you prevent losing your valuables.
- Do not carry around a large amount of cash: you can actually pay by card at many locations in the city.
- Be sure to put your wallet in your bag or in a pocket with a zipper. Do not carry it in your back pocket!
- Carry your bag in front of you, and not at your side or behind you.
- Never leave any of your stuff unattended.
- Be vigilant when you withdraw money: pickpockets might be watching from a distance.
- Be alert when an unknown person addresses you or ‘accidentally’ bumps into you. Immediately check if you still have all your valuables.
I have lost my child, or have found a child that is lost. What do I do?
The first tip we give parents in regards to the possibility of being separated from their children at the event, is making sure your child is carrying your contact information at all times. You can for example write your mobile number on their arm, or create a make-shift necklace.
We have put the following procedure in place to help children who get lost be reunited with their parents:
- First, check the area to make sure parents are not actually still nearby looking for their child. Also check if the kid is carrying any personal contact information.
- If this is not the case, bring the child to the closest Red Cross point (see map). There you provide (if possible) the name of the child, the names of the parents, the location the child was found and the child’s appearance. The Red Cross staff will contact the designated registration office, and will find out if the child has been reported as missing.
- If you are a parent who got separated from your child, you too should go to the nearest Red Cross point and report your child as missing. The registration office of the city of Nijmegen will find out if your child has been registered as found.
- A child who is lost might go to the nearest staff member they can find, such as a bartender or a security guard. Make sure to check the closest establishments, as well as the nearest stage from the place you got separated.
I cannot find my bike, what do I do now?
I have lost a item or found one, what do I do?
Check out www.iLost.nl when you have lost an item. If you cannot find your item on this website, you can register it as lost on there. Lost valuables that are turned in will be put up on the website the following day.
Do you think your item was stolen? Then please contact the police.
When you have found a valuable in Nijmegen, the best course of action is to register it on www.iLost.nl. You can temporarily keep the item at home, where it is safe. If all goes according to plan, the person who lost the item will find the item online or will register it as missing.
Another possibility is dropping the item off at the Stadswinkel (City store) of Nijmegen (Mariënburg 30), which is open Monday through Friday, from 9.00-17.00.
Emergency services and accidents
Where do I find the Red Cross?
There will be a total of five different Red Cross points spread across Nijmegen during the Vierdaagsefeesten. You will be able to find these points at the following locations:
- Bisschop Hamerstraat
- Waalkade (the dock)
- Stadseiland (city island) naast Festival op ‘t Eiland
Consult the map to find the exact locations of the Red Cross points.
Where can I find the police?
The police headquarter can be found in the city center of Nijmegen, and is located in Sieltjesstraat 1. Click here for directions.
During the Vierdaagsefeesten, five different police points are set up across Nijmegen, which are operated between 19.00-01.00. You can find them in the following locations:
- Bisschop Hamerstraat
- Waalkade (the dock)
- Stationsplein (Station square)
Consult the map to find the exact locations of the police points.
What to do in case of an emergency?
To contact an ambulance, the police of the fire department, call 112.
Not urgent? Then make your way to one of our Red Cross or police points spread across the city:
- Bisschop Hamerstraat
- Waalkade (the dock)
- Stationsplein (Station square; only police)
- Stadseiland (City island; only Red Cross) next to Festival op ‘t Eiland
Consult the map to find the exact locations of the different Red Cross and police points.
In case of emergency, instructions and information will be conveyed through presenters, screens and security. Always follow instructions, and make sure to limit your mobile phone use at these times, to prevent the network from getting overcrowded. Need to communicate with someone? Then text each other.
To stay up to date on the most important announcement, we recommend you to download our app on www.woov.nl/vierdaagsefeesten.
Nijmegen: The city center
Will the weekly market on Saturdays and Mondays continue as usual?
Yes, even during the Vierdaagsefeesten the market will be set up as always. On Saturday July 13 and Monday July 15, the market booths at the Augustijnenstraat, the Grote Markt, the Burchstraat and the St. Jorisstraat (at Kelkensbos) will be operated between 09.00-16.00.
Will the shops in the city center be open during the Vierdaagsefeesten?
Yes, the shops will be open daily, even on Sunday. The only day the shops will be closed is on Friday July 19, due to the arrival of the marchers. Go to intonijmegen.nl to find the opening hours of your favorite shops.
General opening hours:
Sat July 13 09.00 – 17.00
Sun July 14 12.00 – 17.00
Mon July 15 11.00 – 18.00
Tue July 16 09.00 – 18.00
Wed July 17 09.00 – 18.00
Thu July 18 09.00 – 21.00
Fri July 19 09.00 – 21.00 (some shops may be closed)
Vierdaagsefeesten and corona
Will the Vierdaagsefeesten 2021 take place?
Ja, de feesten gaan (in een vorm) door! We werken aan de hand van een aantal scenario’s aan een Vierdaagsefeesten in 2021, rekening houdend met de mogelijkheden en beperkingen die het coronavirus met zich meebrengt. De scenario's:
Vier de feesten coronavrij!
Wanneer de ontwikkelingen op het gebied van vaccinaties en sneltests zo hard gaan dat we de afstandsmaatregelen niet meer nodig hebben, zouden we feest kunnen vieren zoals we dit gewend waren. Al lijkt het wishful thinking, we blijven optimistisch en houden rekening met deze mogelijkheid, zodat we er in ieder geval klaar voor zijn als het kan!
Vier de feesten op anderhalve meter
Het meest realistische scenario lijkt momenteel deze versie waarbij we rekening moeten houden met de anderhalve meter maatregelen, vergelijkbaar met de Covid-19 maatregelen die van toepassing waren per september 2020. We zijn momenteel in gesprek met al onze partners om te zien wat dat betekent en wat er kan. Een kleinschaligere editie met aangepast programma en waarschijnlijk reservering en ticketing.
Vier de feesten in sfeer, beeld en geluid
Wanneer het organiseren van ook een kleinschalig evenement niet mogelijk blijkt te zijn, ook niet op anderhalve meter, willen we de sfeer van de feesten in de derde week van juli niet verloren laten gaan. Daar is de impact voor de stad te groot voor. We zorgen, net als in 2020, voor sfeer, beeld en geluid, en bundelen bestaande initiatieven op bijvoorbeeld binnenlocaties of online, zodat we met elkaar toch een beetje de sfeer creëren van deze mooiste zeven dagen van het jaar.
When will we know what the 2021 Vierdaagsefeesten will look like?
No later than May, we will announce which scenario has been chosen for the 2021 Vierdaagsefeesten, from 17 to 23 July in Nijmegen!
What can I do to be the first to know whether I have to buy tickets for the Vierdaagsefeesten?
If we are required to observe 1.5 metre distancing during the Vierdaagsefeesten, we’ll have to use a ticket and reservation system. We expect to know more about this around 1 May. If you subscribe to our newsletter or follow us on social media, you will be the first to know when the tickets - if applicable - go on sale!